Monday, January 19, 2009

B is for Bones, a self portrait












This is my second submission in the Surfacing group's 2009 alphabet project. It is my first attempt at a non-fashion project and is called a self portrait because it shows the current state of my arthritic hand bones.

The fabric is habotai that was first dyed with a super thick alginate paste colored with Crimson green label liquid dye. I salted the surface just to see if any salt effect would happen in the midst of the thick alginate. To my surprise the color separated and the surface became a mottled red/orange/yellow. I thought it properly represented inflamation.

The bones were drawn on freezer paper. Mind you, the shape of each bone was deliberate as I tried to capture the radiographic image of the deformities in each bone. I arranged the bones with a little artistic license on the habotai and hit them with the iron.

Next, I covered the hands in used dryer sheets hoping to get a little texture in the next dye. My print paste was on the thin side so I think I lost some of the texture that might have been interesting and made the finished product less realistic. The black dye was screened on and a heat lamp was used to speed the drying. The underlying fabric had been dyed and steam set a few weeks ago. I used a chemical set on the black because I was in a hurry.

The pieces were washed with synthrapol once. I decided to leave some residue of the alginate so I could keep some extra body in that part of the piece and add some sheen. Once ironed the pieces felt a bit like light paper because of the alginate residue.

There is something ugly and scary about these images, but I enjoyed making them. I may permanently mount them on the black habotai backdrop, or they may just reside in my studio. Either way, it was cathartic to do this project. Remember your hands, take care of them, treat them gently as you age.

No comments:

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf