Sunday, January 11, 2009

Girl friends, grits, gifts and the aging goddess

This is to those of you who have jumped, limped, or been carried over the age 50 hurdle . Have you grieved the loss of your goddess self image? You know, that prideful inner creature that admired her image in the mirror from the first bloom of beauty. She may have had many imperfections, but she was your best. You could dress her up and turn a few heads. She surely relied on her looks a little too much at times.

My dear friend stopped by the other day. The old goddess had a headache and could not face the day so I fed us some scrambled eggs with cheese and grits for lunch and gifted her a dress that I had just made for myself. We laughed about the grits - they are so chic now - once a simple mainstay of my southern breakfasts, now called by a variety of names on menus on 4 star menus from Philadelphia to San Francisco. My friend was raised on Matzo and is a compulsive dieter. She feared the grits as I spooned them on her plate. It was her old goddess self image trying to deny her. Yet, she ate them and felt better.

That is what happens when the aging goddess lets go and allows herself to not fear the extra pound on her bottom. It's not about the grits, my dear. It is all about feeling good now and being liberated from the compulsions that little goddesses hold to keep themselves thin. Perfection for the aging goddess is just feeling good. Isn't that grand? If I had known, I would have grown older sooner.

No comments:

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf