Sunday, February 15, 2009

C is for Color Hue resisted with Galactic Glitter Glue


I receive Dyeing 101 emails and have been intrigued with using Elmer's Galactic Glue as a resist. The Dyeing 101 info showed using the glue as a total resist on soda soaked cotton that was dyedw/ procion dyes after the glue dried. I tried something different. I dyed a silk habotai scarf a yellowish green with ColorHue. That took 2 minutes. I ironed the scarf dry and attached it to a vinyl coveredprint board. Next, I squirted the glue in 6 or 8 inch lengths and spread it on the silk with a foam brush. I tried to cover the fabric completely, but I knew the glue was slightly thicker in some areas. It took about 4 hours for the glue to dry. Once it was dryI removed it from the board and scrunched the fabric in my hands. Then I pinned it on a clean vinyl covered print board and painted the entire glued surface with alginate thickened black acid dye.


When the dye solution was dry I steam set the scarf. Rinsing out all the glue was achieved by simmering the scarf in Synthrapol and water on the stove for about 20 minutes. I am anxious to find out if it was the alginate thickened dye that allowed the black to penetrate the glue in a way that created shading, or if itwas a result of the steaming. Maybe it was a combination of the two. More to learn!

No comments:

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf