Sunday, February 15, 2009

F is for Finger pleated Shibori


I decided to try to finger pleat a 40" x 60" piece of soda soaked cotton lycra. This fabric is heavy, and dyes differently than a plain cotton fabric because the surface is a bit like flannel because of the loose cotton thread and the lycra content.


My theory was that the weight of the fabric would enable me to finger pleat this large piece of fabric and that I could loosely secure the pleated bundle with rubber bands spaced 5 or 6 inches apart. That theory proved to be correct to the great joy of my non-functioning fingers.


2 colors (navy and purple) were used with the intent of having a lot of white areas. I decided during dyeing to use a highly dilute navy also. The dye was applied with squirt bottles.


I kind of like it even though it got a little muddy with the purple in areas. Let's hope I can make something out of this that doesn't look too ridiculous.

No comments:

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf