Monday, July 7, 2008

Hot Flashes and Fashion

When my body decided to turn on itself and torture me with frequent hot flashes and an inability to sleep past 3 a.m. I had to make some life and wardrobe changes. Nudity was not an option, and the fabrics and fashions available in the hot house of South Florida were unappealing and TOO HOT. Although I enjoyed sewing and designing for most of my life, my machines and supplies had been packed away for ten years. They were abandoned when I gave up on finding fabrics that were attractive and wearable in a hot climate. My wardrobe was a study in apathy. Core holdings had dwindled to boring black pants, ugly suits, jeans and Old Navy tees for lounging. I longed for something pretty that fit and was cool to wear. I was HOT and Homely. Something had to change.

At 3 am in the early spring of 2007 it hit me - I could make my own fabrics and colors! Tra la! Thanks to Google I quickly located a good supplier of silk fabrics and dyes - Dharma Trading. I quickly placed an order and started reading everything I could find so I would be ready to create as soon as the goods arrived. I was a kid in a candy store again! Loaded to the gills with dyes, brushes, newly constructed frames, resists, discharge paste, and an electric turkey fryer purchased to steam my creations, I was off and running. I could and would create my own fabric!

No comments:

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf