Friday, July 11, 2008

Murphy's Law - Arthritis and Art

One year into my obsession with surface design, silk painting and sewing the unthinkable happened - Murphy showed up. What had been a very mild case of osteoarthritis in my hands blossomed into something awfully painful. It happened overnight, literally. I awoke one morning 8 weeks ago with excruciating pain in both hands. Every joint from the wrist to the tip of each finger was screaming. All I know now is that it is not my long standing osteoarthritis that is to blame. Tests performed by the rheumatologist have shown that I am ANA positive (first level of autoimmune disease testing). More tests have been done and I am taking a NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) drug while I await what will be the results of 3 rounds of testing. The NSAID has helped a little, but lots of stuff (like typing) is still really painful.

Give up my obsession? No! Just doing a little less these days. I work slower and with some difficulty, but I am still at it!

No comments:

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf