Monday, July 7, 2008

In the Beginning Woman Created Scarves

My first Dharma order included 4 yds of 5mm Habotai, lots of Habotai scarves and a a few ready to paint pillow covers. The fabric was set aside as I concentrated on painting scarves using various techniques that I had seen on the net and in books. I tried wet on wet, salt, line building, serti technique using water based and solvent based guttas. All of my art was freehand. Some of it was really pleasing. Colors were made on purpose and by the wonderful accident of transparent colors merging and layering in a way that can only be made by dye on silk. Every success was chronicled by digital photos and the concept formed about making 'heritage' scarves for all of my female relatives and friends. I called them heritage scarves because all of the women on the maternal side of my family are crafty and creative. Grandma made quilts for each of her children and grandchildren before she died. Mom crocheted intricate afghans for each of her children before she died. No, I was not having a premonition of death, but the idea consumed me that I could get a jump start on something I HAD to do to maintain a lovely tradition. I painted scarves like there was no t0morrow.

Some of the scarves took a day or more to paint, others were finished in a half day. Motifs varied from impressionist designed subtle tones to wildly colored abstracts. The thread that ran through the heritage line was love and thought of each person for whom the scarf was designed. As silly as it seems, I cried at times during my painting - quiet middle aged weeping over the love I felt for the intended recipient. sn't that a lovely reaction to one's creativity?

All of the scarves were painted and delivered in 2007 - including a 4 stole sized series of semi-identical scarves that were painted for the wedding party of a friend's daughter. Nearly 80 scarves were delivered in the heritage series. I am proud.

No comments:

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf