Friday, July 11, 2008

Shaving Cream for silk screening with acid dyes

I like to share my discoveries that I believe are observations that could help others. This one is short and sweet: For all screen printing except deconstructed you can throw out your alginate if you are screen printing. You can create a silk screened fabric that is much more interesting and controllable by mixing your dyes with shaving cream. You can get your desired intensity of color- or a pastel very easily, and this method will not effect your ability to set acid dyes in any way you like- steaming or chemical setting. It also works equally well with Procion MX.

The shaving cream stays put and is light on the screen. That makes things so much easier for me. I am not fighting a giant load of heavy alginate on my 24 x 30 screen (my biggest screen).

Screen through monofiliament screen or a screen set up using curtain sheers. Either is fine.

Do not be afraid to use a hard edged object in lieu of a squeegee. Some people use credit cards, I am currently using a plastic french curve. I think the curve is good for me right now because of my arthritis, but it does show that just about anything can be used to push the dyes through the screen. I have also used an el-cheapo plastic putty knife with a 6 inch blade that works beautifully.

The ultimate easiest thing is to screen print with Color Hue dyes. I LOVE INSTANT GRATIFICATION!

1 comment:

Yetunde said...

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this post! I have been trying to distill screenprinting down to it's barest essence, and realized that what I wanted to do was print with dyes. I love how that it leaves no hand on the fabric, and the fact that the sky is the limit for color combos, plus it's very cost effective. I tried the alginate method, and while I like it just fine, I think the shaving cream method will be even better (and even more cost effective, lol)I can't wait to give it a whirl. Thanks!

 
Dyers Web Ring
Powered By Ringsurf